Until There Are None
Adopt One






Dogs $40

Cats $30

A $50 refundable spay/neuter deposit is required for all unaltered animals.

Kansas State Law K.S.A. 47-1731, requires all animals adopted from an animal shelter be spayed or neutered.

Lonely Hearts Club

Adoption Fees are half-priced for any animal that has been residing at the shelter for at least 30 days.


  • You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt.
  • Landlord approval is required.
  • All unaltered animals must be spayed or neutered before a predetermined date.
  • We DO NOT adopt animals as gifts. Ask about our gift certificates.
  • All adoptions must be processed in person at the shelter.


Call before bringing any owned animal to the shelter. We do not always have space available. We would be glad to schedule a date & time for you to bring your animals in. Or place you on our waiting list until a kennel space opens up.

$25 per animal

Litters of puppies or kittens

3 or less animals $30

4-5 animals $50

6-8 animals $60

9 or more animals $70 


  • We will not accept any animals that have shown any sign of aggression.
  • We will not accept animals showing signs of illness.
  • We will not accept animals over the age of 8 years.
  • Once you have surrendered an animal you will not be able to adopt from our shelter for 1 year.

Lost & Found


File a Report

Contact your local animal shelter, veterinarian, animal control officer or law enforcement officials to leave a missing or found animal report.

Check Local Advertising

Many people will post lost & found animal ads. Remember to check all classified advertising in your area.

Ask Around

Check with neighbors and other people who frequent your neighborhood. 


Post a missing or found pet ad in your local classifieds. Make flyers that can be posted around town.

Know the Law

After 3 days a domesticated animal becomes your property. If you have no intention of keeping the animal turn it over to your local animal control or animal shelter.

Cruelty Reporting


The Humane Society of the High Plains does not have authority to investigate animal cruelty complaints. However, we will do our best to help you contact the proper authorities. 

If the cruelty is taking place in the city of Hays contact the Hays Police Department at 785-625-1011 and ask for Animal Control.

Within Ellis County contact the Ellis County Sheriff at 785-625-1040.

Any other county or city call your local police department or the sheriff. 

What is legally defined as cruelty?



We offer tours of our facility to classes and groups of students.

We provide humane educational literature.

We also educate the public on the importance of spaying/neutering, vaccinations and proper animal care. 

If you would like to schedule a tour of our facility call 785-625-5252 during our regular business hours.

Educational Resources - Download Lesson Plans